Sunday, August 05, 2007

PTO - Day 4

I looked around for the plans for the i-beams and only found a reference to an article the guy from the Popular Woodworking blog had written for Woodworking magazine but didn't give any dimentions or how to make the i-beams and set of boxes he used for that support system.


I needed to goto Home Depot for some of the hardware I forgot yesterday, so Aimee went with me and we ended up looking at and getting some red cement paving stone for putting next to the deck so it is easier to mow. They weigh about 39 pound a piece and it loaded down the car pretty good. You can tell from the picture it is almost bottomed out. There is usually about an inch or space above the tire when it is unloaded.


I figured I would just make the i-beams 6 inches and had Aimee help me with ripping the sheet of plywood into 6 inch strips. That went really quickly with her help and I set out to setup the dado blade to cut the groove into the two side pieces.

That afternoon I ended up finding the article about the support system on the Woodworking magazine website and decided to buy the digital copy of the issue it was in so I would have the actual plans. My size ended up being almost the same size as the plans he had worked from, his being 4 3/4" compared to my 6". The cool thing about these is that you can use them for supporting your work, for cutting plywood by setting them on their sides and cutting through the ends of the i-beam as you cut the sheet of plywood, and I am sure there are many other uses. The set of boxes that were also included in the plans had three different dimensions so you could use them low for assembly of projects, just below workbench height for planing and stuff that requires you to exert some pressure on the piece, or at workbench height for normal woodworking. You just lay the boxes on a different side to get the three heights. I am still working on getting the i-beams glued up since I ran out of glue tonight and stores are closed until tomorrow.

No comments: