Saturday, May 12, 2012

working the bench

So we went to HD last week for the monthly project, which was for a Mother's Day plant holder and plant, but as I posted before, we didn't stay to paint it. When we got home I didn't like the idea of Sam painting at the dining table, so I started in on a workbench for Sam to be able to do projects like this on.


It only took 3/4 of a sheet of 5/8th plywood and about four 2x4s I ripped in half. I got all the lumber and plywood cut for the the back and the work surface and the two-by-two's for the frames done on Thursday and got it all put together last night. Then this morning I had to make a trip to HD to get hinges for the legs and fold down worktable. It only took about an hour to get the hinges mounted after I had lunch.

The almost finished product:




I just need to:
  1. do some round over router work on all the edges so they aren't likely to produce splinters
  2. put some stops in for the legs
  3. put levelers on the bottom of the legs
  4. put pegboard on the back
  5. and maybe change the piano hinge for the top so it folds up instead of down over the legs.
It is pretty sturdy. I stood on it and it didn't even creak. I put the frames (back, work surface, and legs) together with pocket screws and the plywood work surface is screwed from underneath with them so that there are no visible fasteners.

It is totally collapsible; the legs fold in and the table down, for now; all to about 4.5 inches thick. I may end up cutting some hand holds in the top of the back before I put the peg board on so it is easier to carry. It is sturdy and weighs probably close to 40-50 pounds. It should be a nice place for me to have Sam work on things when I am working on my projects in the garage.


legs half folded in


totally collapsed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool table to make for your son Sam; I know he must be very excited and feel like his dad's protege of being a builder. What a wonderful 'togetherness' tool when in the garage doing your own projects on your own workbench!!! You are such a cool dad!

creative side said...

Sam will always remember his own work table that you made for him. Such a dear gift. It will give him space to be creative and do his own thing. Good Papa!