Tuesday, May 15, 2012

bacheloring it this week, trenching

Aimee is gone on a business trip this week and Sam and I are left alone to our own devices. Our devices this week are shovels and wheelbarrows among train tracks, sand tables, trips to Costco, reading books and episodes of Team Umizoomi, Special Agent Oso, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Doc something -or-other (McStuffin maybe).

We spent the afternoon out back while I dug the loose dirt out of the sprinkler trench. Sam tried to help but was mostly just taking half little shovel fulls of dirt from the trench, the wheelbarrow, the small dirt pile left over from moving the dirt yesterday. He was really trying and it is the intentions that matter, I guess. I did end up getting him interested in finding big rocks from the ground or wheelbarrow or pile he was digging from and putting them in the red bucket; I will have to remove them anyways, so it was worth a try. I think he ended up with maybe a dozen or so, but it occupied him for a little while.


And when that failed to interest him very long, we went and got the sand table out and I had Sam shovel the fresh sand from the 5 gallon bucket to the table. 




So after working out in the yard, we read a couple books and since Sam wasn't resting well, I laid down with him. He finally cuddled his baby doll and kitty, with me using his teddy bear for a pillow and went to sleep. This picture is taken in the mirror beside his bed, which is why it looks a little weird.


It was almost 4pm when he finally settled down and fell asleep so I got up and took a shower while he rested. I guess he really needed the rest cuz when I got him up after my shower so he could wake up enough to go get dinner and go to Costco to get some provisions and ultimately a frozen yogurt/ice cream machine on total impulse. He was really sweaty and hot from sleeping under the covers in a 75 degree room and was just not waking up well, so I sat with him on the couch for about 10 minutes, talking with him. I then realized that the mail was probably here and carried him out to get the mail, then set him down on the LR couch while I got the RedBox movie we got for a free rental for Mother's Day and checked how long the rental went for. When I got back to get Sam's shoes on, I found him like this:


Then in the car, I think he dozed off again. We had even gone down the street a couple houses to say hi to Turbo, who is our neighbor's dog that Sam really likes. But as soon as we got on our way to get food, here is Sam in the back seat. He was so warm from napping that he wanted to wear the coat and gloves when we went out the door, but it was windy and a little cool, so I can understand.


He finally woke up fully by the time we had dinner and got to Costco. That was a quick trip and then on the way home we got a call from Aimee on her business trip. We ended up calling her back when we got home after a stop at FM for gas and movie return. Aimee got her Google+ account set up finally and we did a hangout and got to see her room and get some face time while she is away.

Sam wanted to take a picture to send to Mom of his extra special really big surprise he made for her this morning; evidently the torch light in the LR was too bright, but not too bright to wave.


I was kinda worried he may not sleep well tonight but evidently, even with all the napping, he was still tired enough that he didn't have any issues falling asleep.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so busy...it makes me tired just to read about all you are doing. You have some nice neighbors with the way they help in sharing tools and machines you don't have on hand! God really takes care of His children in providing what they need!!! Everything is looking really good!

Sam is a real trooper wanting to keep up with his dad! In a couple of years you can be his yard supervisor!!!

creative side said...

You certainly are busy, and you are being such a great Dad to Sam. Thanks for all the pictures.