I built the 3 1/2" section for the third raised bed, to bring it up to the same height as the first one, and got it all screwed together before coming in for the night. It will go on top of the bottom full height section, cuz it is already in the gravel and level. The end screws were not going into the end grain of the one side board straight so I put pocket hole screws through the top to hold it in line. The end ones then went in and everything held square. If you enlarge the photo you may be able to see the one at the top on the left side; the right side ones went in just fine so they don't have pocket screws.
So today, if the rain holds off and I can get out of Costco (with the unusually crazy mass of people here today), I need to get out and get all the levels of the third bed screwed together. Then, when I find the plastic I cut to line the box, I can start filling it with garden soil, sifted dirt from the yard, soil amendment and sand. We hopefully will get the watermelons and pumpkins in the ground before they die in the starting pods.
Update (5.3.2012): BTW, I didn't make it back in time to get the bed screwed together, had to put Sam down for a nap he didn't want to rest for and go to our Parenting class that night. I will get back to it this weekend, after I get back from taking some time to visit my mom, who is recovering from double pneumonia; cooking, cleaning, straightening up and trying not to urk my dad too much with requests for new vacuum bags and other cleaning supplies he can't figure out where my mom put them (she doesn't remember either in her over-tired state). Anywho... back to it on Saturday when we get back.
Update (5.3.2012): BTW, I didn't make it back in time to get the bed screwed together, had to put Sam down for a nap he didn't want to rest for and go to our Parenting class that night. I will get back to it this weekend, after I get back from taking some time to visit my mom, who is recovering from double pneumonia; cooking, cleaning, straightening up and trying not to urk my dad too much with requests for new vacuum bags and other cleaning supplies he can't figure out where my mom put them (she doesn't remember either in her over-tired state). Anywho... back to it on Saturday when we get back.

No comments:
Post a Comment