Saturday, May 12, 2012

Unplanned Saturday Afternoon Snowball

So after getting Sam's workbench to a semi-finished working state. I took a break to cool off and the neighbor ended up knocking on the door asking if he could take the dirt I had piled up in my front yard for his yard. He had borrowed a tractor with a bucket on the front and a tiller on the back and spent a couple hours moving the couple yards of dirt to his backyard.

I was watching them on the side yard camera and although they were being quite careful with the dirt next to my 2 year-old tree, I decided to go try and work out front to keep a closer eye out. I started out working on the rhode hole next to the house. I got some of the bark off the piles I had made around the hole before we took it out and was putting it out by the street to make that look a little nicer before stirring all the dirt around in the hole. I then noticed that the water meter access was disturbed again, most likely from moles and I decided to work on digging out around it and putting in some retaining blocks.

I started digging and ended up getting pricked by the yucca leaves so much that I started taking out some of the starts around the outside of the plant to get it back out of my way. Well, this is what happened:

for those who are not familiar with our yard, there used to be yucca's between the fir tree and the irises.
and the tops are gone from this mess of yuccas; will need to dig out the roots at some point.
view from the street side

borrowed my neighbor's truck to haul the yuccas and the left over  bushes in the back that got damaged in the snow. 
the hole from the yucca after Tom, my neighbor yanked most of it out with his truck, with the water meter showing on the right.

The corner of the yard where the neighbor took the dirt from , where I limbed up the fir tree, the yucca gone and the dirt barrier for the water meter started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The changes give the front yard a tidy, clean-cut, open, and uncluttered look; very nice! The way you are grooming your yard is making it not only look good but also giving it a professional look!