Saturday, May 19, 2012

Driveway Drain

Sam and I ended up going outside after lunch today to put in some of the paving stones that were under the old hot tub beside the west side of the driveway. It will give Aimee a place to step out of the car and not have to be in the gravel, but anyways. I had put some of the left over gravel there, but it wasn't always in the right place since it didn't go all the way down the driveway, but this should work pretty well.

I got the area above the driveway drain dug out and got 3 pavers set to depth. I was hoping that the pavers would be as wide as the drain surround. I ended up spending the rest of the time to corral Sam into using his dump truck to move gravel or ride his bike or just mess with the broom; anything to help keep him occupied so I could be productive. He is so interested in being right in whatever I am doing and, to be honest, he really does work hard and is usually helpful if I get him directed and interested in something he can do to help.


While I was able to be productive, I was able to dig back the mound of gravel the gas company piled on the side of the driveway when they put in the gas line. It needs a lot more work before it is down to a level that I can either add a fresh layer of gravel or pave it with the pavers that have the diamond shaped holes in them and plant some grass or walkable groundcover on that side of the driveway. I will probably have to cut the asphalt on the road side of the drain so I can fit a block in there, but it should keep the debris out of the drain better. I had to shop vac out the drain to remove what had gotten in there since I cleaned it out last time.

I may wait for the rest of this grading until I rent a tractor to till and move around the dirt in the backyard; way easier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have accomplished so many improvement projects...your place is looking better all the time; you can feel so good about the great work you do, to do it right! That's why it looks so great!

Really good job!

creative side said...

Wow, nice work John (and Sam). At lease you can count this as a benefit of now having an 8-5 job. You can acccomplish so much at home and have. I'm sure proud of you and you are such a good Dad keeping Sam involved.