Thursday, March 25, 2010

Project Update

So in the last week or so, I :
  1. Installed the vent fan ducting and roof vent
  2. finished insulating the garage wall above the bedroom
  3. installed and insulated the attic access door for that end of the house
  4. got a couple pieces of wall insulation in the bathroom.
  5. took out the Living Room forced air wall heater that Sam kept playing with and found a 4 line electrical junction in the wall with just wire nuts holding it all together, no box. Nice huh. Mike Holmes says this is not a good idea!
  6. picked up everything yesterday and vacuumed since it was getting a little messy in there.
  7. Oh, and I fixed the sprinkler head I ran over with the mower and broke off; as well as removing a 6 inch strip of the grass that runs along that sprinkler head so that I don't risk hitting it again.

Things that I am stuck on:

  1. Does it matter if cellulose blown-in insulation is up against the roof sheeting? Do I have to allow for some kind of air brake in each rafter cavity or just the vented ones?
  2. How to insulate the water pipes that go through the corner of the house where it is going to be hard to pack insulation in around, especially considering if I have to leave a air space below the sheeting
  3. What do I do with the electrical line that is coming from somewhere in the house (haven't been able to trace it yet) that is just hanging unconnected over the bedroom?
  4. Should I install the gable vent fan before I get the bathroom closed up so I can access it a little easier... should I be putting that above the main living area?
  5. How to insulate the vaulted ceiling the best way so I get the best R-value and less gaps and ghosting on the rafters.
  6. Am I really going to have to run a new electrical line to the Living room to correct #5 accomplishment?
  7. Why do I keep making lists of things to do, ordering them and then not following the plan?

1 comment:

creative side said...

You're a busy man! All of this bits and pieces of electrical stuff must be disturbing. It is a wonder somebody hasn't been hurt with the way things were put together. I'm glad you're doing it right. Call Dad and ask some of those questions (choir tonight).