Monday, March 22, 2010

Bed, now.

In putting Sam to bed the last couple nights, he has evidently been really tired or not really interested in the books we have been reading for the nighttime ritual. It probably helped that it was kinda late last night when we got home from shopping at Costco and Fred Meyer, so Sam got a later dinner and to bed about half hour later than normal. I started reading his books, only two when it is that late, and he signed "bed" to me. This is a new sign he has started to do when we prompt him for it, and I have been pointing to his bed at night when I do the sign so he evidently got the idea that was his bed and he wanted to get in it now.

So when he did it the second time and pointed to his crib, I knew he meant business. I stopped reading, had him turn out the light, thinking I would still get some cuddle time in the rocker, but NO, he signed bed and pointed toward his crib again. I got up and he did lay his head down while I tried to rock him like normal while standing up just a little bit before laying him down, but when I guess I didn't lay him down fast enough. He picked his head up off my shoulder and signed bed again and pointed at his crib again. So I said, that is fine said his final goodnight prayer and set him down, said goodnight and left the room. There was not another sound come out of that room and he went right to sleep.

It is great to see him come to understand when he is tired and all he has to do it ask to go to bed when he wants. Tonight I actually got in one book, which he showed interest in, but that was all and he did the same thing tonight. I didn't fuddle around this time and said his little prayer and left... again without a peep and he went right to sleep. Amazing. We will have to see how long this lasts... hopefully potty training will go just as easy when he figures out what we mean when we sign potty when he is evidently straining.

1 comment:

creative side said...

What a giant step for Sam. Signing sure does make a difference. I love that you put him to bed most of the time John. It gives him a very strong male role model at an early age. Nothing you do later in life can be as strong as this one thing your are doing now. Good job!