Monday, March 22, 2010

Bend over backwards.

Aimee, Sam and I get to rough housing from time to time and it usually is instigated by me with Sam. He sure likes being flipped over from his belly to his back; when he is on his belly, I grab his legs, pull him up so his feet are above his head and then kinda toss his feet so he lands on his back... this is done on the bed or couch so soft enough to catch him. He also enjoys coming and flopping down on us when we are lying on the ground. He will just lay his head down afterwards, sometimes it seems like he is listening... to our heart, stomach, breathing... something, cuz he has a concentrated, for lack of a better word, look on his face when he does this.

Sam also likes to climb up on your back when you are on all fours. Yesterday Aimee had put her head down in this position and Sam came up and kinda pounced on her back, with his feet at her head. They had just come home from somewhere and he still had his shoes on, so when Aimee raised her head up and he was on her back with feet up in the air, I grabbed his shoes off his feet. Aimee thought I was lifting him but in fact I took a couple steps away to put his shoes down by the door. Thinking I had him, she raised up and Sam went sliding off the back of her, planted his forehead on the floor and arched his feet over him as they went over his head.

I hate giving notice of these types of events, but it is part of growing up. Lord knows I had my share of falls, accidents and emergency room visits; but I can't say that I remember Mom talking about any bad falls we had when we kids had in our first years.

Anywho... We were both mortified that this had happened but when he wouldn't be held more than a couple seconds because he wanted to continue to play and even though he continued to whimper for a couple minutes, we figured he was OK and unharmed. Oh, but this was after he fell and had a big bump under his eye that had pretty much gone away at this point, but still. This was probably the 5th time I can think of when he really fell hard or hit his head, but was probably one of the worst contortions he has gone through.
  1. Don't remember the details, but he was pretty young, less than 3 months old
  2. Grandpa and Grandma Beltz's house 6-9 months - head hitting the corner of their chair with metal brads on it; ended up having two welts puff up and turn into one big knot.
  3. Auntie Ann's (early Nov 09) - falling off the bed when I turned my attention for a second. The box spring and mattress were on the floor but the carpet pad is pretty worn and it sounded like he hit solid floor.
  4. Falling backwards off the couch during playdate at the groups most protective mom's house; I felt like a really neglectful dad since he fell to the floor and landed on his bottom then whipped his head back and hit it on the rug covered hardwood floor. But, to my defense, Sam had been playing on our couch for months where we had shown him how to be careful and respect the edges; evidently unfamiliar couches have a learning curve and are not to be dismissed as the same as home.
  5. This week's bend over backwards.
He continued to play and act normal the rest of the day and went to bed without trouble so hopefully any damage done was minimal. I just hate when the unexpected tumbles happen and my protective impulse get bruised; I guess you can't keep them in bubble wrap their whole life. He is bound to have more during his life; he is a Beltz, after all.

2 comments:

creative side said...

You are still a great Dad and more careful than most. You and Aimee make me so proud. You are the best parents I've ever seen.

creative side said...

Oh, by the way, all parents roughhouse with their kids. It is part of making them agile and they love it.