Saturday, March 27, 2010

More making it right again

Well, I was up in the attic trying to get a few things squared away when I decided to try to straighten out the insulation that is at the end of the vaulted ceiling in the Family room. Well, I start pulling the batts of insulation back and what do I find:


The phone cable isn't that bad, but it should be secured, but the electrical splice is a big NO NO. This had insulation sitting on it just like that so it was a fire hazard for sure. I think this electrical line goes into the kitchen by the sink and runs the plug there (GFCI), the plug under the breakfast counter, the dishwasher, and the hot water tap under the sink.

[sarcastic] I am so looking forward to finding all the other messups that have been done around the house during the last owner's remodel.

Oh, and I evidently didn't get the picture of the wire that was just past this that just had wire nuts on the ends of the wires and the ceiling box, probably for an old light(?), that had wires running into it. The box had joist hangers on it, so not quite sure if is a light box, but it had a small gauge wire coming back out of it that was cut off... hum?! Anywho. Without having some way to identify if they were live circuits, I decided to just end there and get out for the night.

Ended up at HD and got a non-contact circuit tester that I will keep with me at all times when crawling in the attic or anywhere, for that matter, around the house. I have had enough close calls with electricity to not want to get zapped again. Although most of the experiences were just with a lot of sparks from the screwdriver making contact between the beknownst live wires I was working on.

... [chuckling nervously] except that one time at Gordy's when I thought I could fix the plug with it being live and shorted it when the screw driver slipped... oops! But that was the first really bad one that started the process of making me respect electricity a lot more. That time and when I shorted the water heater at our first apartment when the cover, that I had cleverly left the top screw in and turned so it was up, decided to swing back down unexpectedly and caught both of the connections to the thermostat. Live and learn; what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.



No comments: