Saturday, March 27, 2010

More making it right

Well, what did we find here? This is what I found when I tried to secure the heat duct in the bathroom:


come to find out there is a pipe clamp over a piece of rubber wrapped around the cold water pipe in the bathroom. They had a leak, which had to have soaked the drywall on the ceiling, and instead of fixing it proper, they put a bandaid on it. I am really surprised that this hasn't leaked in the 3 years we have been in the house. I literally touched it and it started dripping. It amazes me that in gutting the bathroom, we didn't end up disturbing that pipe enough to start it leaking.
Oh well, better to find it now than when it failed later. I can make it right and fix it with a proper copper connector. I really wonder if it would just be easier to just replace all the copper with PEX and get rid of the hundreds of elbows and splices in the lines.

Oh and here is a view of all the wire nuts that werer used to splice the line for the microwave with the rest of the wiring in the hall, lights and plug:



All electricity to this area are turned off, by the way, but I didn't notice Sam was standing there when I took the picture til I just uploaded it.

The long wires are from the forced air heater I was taking out... but all the wire nuts there are a splice in the line that should be in an electrical box and not just hidden in the wall. Everything is so short I am probably going to need to run some new lines to take care of this, but we shall see. Maybe I will take down the wall where they patched it poorly and have that redone with the rest of the drywall.

1 comment:

creative side said...

Okay, you have my final opinion on it. These people were really Dud's and should....never mind. It's not appropriate for the page nor my thoughts for that matter either.