Thursday, September 08, 2011

Labor Day #3, Sept 2011

We had a quick breakfast on Labor Day morning, day 3 of the work weekend. Aimee's dad got started doing the hole for the sump pump and I went and got another load of gravel I was thinking I would need for the holes and trenches, hopefully another 2 yards isn't going to be too much.

Dad worked with a short shovel I had and that 5 gallon bucket on it's side cuz it barely fit under the floor joists when upright. I emptied the first couple buckets for him, but Aimee helped out the rest of the day so I could work in the holes in the yard. Is it just me or does he not look too amused I took his picture?

He got quite dusty working under the house and crawling around to run the electrical line and the garden hose out the vent at the other end of the house.I am kinda excited about this being done, but kinda not looking forward to running the electrical line over to the panel in the garage and snaking it down to hook it up.
Dusty Bob.

Anywho, I dropped off the trailer at the rental place after I dumped the gravel in the driveway and then proceeded to dig out the end of the trench going to the east side drywell, wrap the hole and container with landscape fabric, insert the drainage pipe coming from the downspouts, fill the hole with gravel, put an extra piece of landscape fabric on top and start filling the remaining 12 inch deep hole with dirt. By about noon, I had gotten all the loose dirt around the hole scraped back into the hole, about half filled. I will have to move more from the other pile in the back, but after I get the other holes buttoned up to at least this stage.
Hole with gravel in the bottom and well container


Well and hole wrapped in landscape fabric

fabric folded over and dirt starting to fill rest of hole
After filling the east hole with dirt about half way, which is when I ran out of loose dirt by the hole, I think I had lunch and then started on the west side drywell. We hit some gravel which looked like some kind of drainage field, which would have been under the grass; maybe something left over from a septic system, I don't know. It will help disperse the water though so we left it alone.

It didn't seem like it took that long, but I got it wrapped and filled with gravel to the drainage pipe holes. I will need to empty the trench and grade it to the hole and fix the sprinkler lines I hit with the trencher before I can put the pipe in. I did realize that working in the full sun was really hot and put the canopy over the hole. It was hot that day, like close to 90 I think, but this made it at least manageable. Now I know why Dad wanted to work under the house instead of outside; much cooler, but more dusty I think.
Second drywell on west side of back yard, there was some kind of pre-existing drainage field that we hit, maybe from an old septic system?

West drywell filled to the drainage pipe connections, .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great team work from down under to up on top! Can't believe you did all that in such a short period of time! That really was a Labor Day weekend! Good job guys!