Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Labor Day #2

Day two started with a quick breakfast and trenching... lots of trenching. It took a long time cuz it again kept locking up on rocks and was a little underpowered for the depth and type of soil.

I decided to keep the loader past the 8am return time; for $35/hour. I was hoping to get it done in the 4 hour timeline, so it wouldn't get too expensive. It was well worth the extra time we had the loader and I was almost sorry I didn't keep it for the rest of the day. Anywho...
We got the trench along the back side of the house for the new sprinkler run that will water the new grass I will be putting in later this fall. Then we moved to the west side trench that goes to the first dry well we dug. I hit just about every existing sprinkler line in that area, sometimes in multiple spots... I will have a lot of repairs to do but it really wasn't that bad considering. I finished with the trench for the front yard hole but couldn't do more than like 4 feet due to not being able to back the machine through he side of the garage.


I was happy when it was finally finished and we were ready to unload the trencher back on the trailer.
East side - first trench
South Side of house
West side of house, with busted lines


Another on the West that I nicked
 
After trenching I decided to run as much gravel as I could to tarps in the backyard next to the two holes. I got a good pile next to each of them, hoping that I didn't do too little and praying I didn't do too much to have to move it back.

We took the loader back about 11:30 and paid for a day plus the 4 extra hours. It was some of the best rental money I have spent. We took a break and went to lunch when we got back; Dad took us out to Mexican and we started talking about what else needed to get done. The sump pump came up and Dad was eager to volunteer to get out of working in the heat on Monday; smart man.

I went and got another load of gravel that afternoon before the landscape supply place closed. Then I think I messed around outside but didn't seem to really get all that much done for the rest of the day... it was too hot. The front of the house looked like this at the end of the day.
[Next: Labor Day #3: "Labor Day"]

2 comments:

creative side said...

An amazing amount of work in a relatively short time. Bob is really impressed with that machine. It may come in handy with our driveway. I always enjoy your writing and pictures. Thanks John.

Anonymous said...

I agree with creative side. I'm impressed with the guys who can make the machine look so impressive!!! The pictures and narratives are like out of a landscape book; I truly enjoy the reading of words and pictures:)