Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sam falling on his rocker

Aimee, Sam and I were in Sam's room talking about curtains for the Livingroom, since it is the only room in the house with the curtain rod still up. Anywho, Sam was playing around while we were talking and I all of a sudden realized that he was in his little rocker, backwards, knees to the back of the seat, rocking. I no sooner said, "Aimee! grab him, when he leaned completely into the back of the chair and went head first into the corner of the room where bookcase, toy chest and lamp are. He narrowly missed the toy chest, which in hindsight would have probably been better since it would have been earlier in the decent, and landed face first on the base of the lamp.



I hate those moments!!! There have been a couple really bad ones like this where I just can't react because it is mostly over by the time I even see it. I almost exhale a big sigh before I completely understand what is happening because subconsciously I have already identified that there is nothing I can do because I didn't see or recognize what was going on soon enough.

I take pride in seeing things coming and have, on more occasions than I have missed, caught Sam in mid stream before he actually got hurt; so my pride takes just as much of a bruising as Sam does when this happens.

It turns out that he was fine, even with the big, purple, swollen cheek he ended up with. Aimee took a lesson from the weekend we went to the beach where Sydney, one of the little girls who was part of the 5 families that went, took a dive off of an elevated bed face first. They put some what I can only describe as "bruise preventing" gel, because I don't remember what it is called, on it and it really reduced the black eye that Sydney had over the short weekend we were there. It worked the same for Sam and, even though I don't know what it would have been like without the gel, it sure seems like it could have been much worse than the slight discoloration, purplish, that he has under his left eye and on the ball of his cheek.

We did get Sam to let us put some ice on it for about 15 minutes so I am sure that helped with the swelling, but the swelling was gone for the most part before he went to bed. After the initial crying/screaming, he didn't even complain too much about touching it; although he did say it hurt to push on it. I didn't want to hurt him but, with as well as he was taking it, I did want to make sure he didn't have any fractures, which would have hurt to push on. We gave him ibuprofen to help with the swelling and some pain management, but he really hasn't needed anything since the day after he did it, which was probably more for our comfort than his. He was even hamming it up when we were trying to take pictures of it.



I guess it just proves how helpless we are as Parents to protect our kids from every hurt and how we must trust in God's provision and protection of them when we fail. He is one tough kid, though; he even took a nap after we did the ice and made sure his eyes were dilating. It totally amazed me how quickly he really recovered from it; I hope he is not getting used to it now.

1 comment:

creative side said...

Of one thing I am certain: You are an excellent father John. We can't be where our child is every single moment or we would go crazy. You do what is possible and that is try to anticipate and to watch. It is all anyone can do. Let me put it this way. You are the best father I have ever seen and I am so proud of the way you treat your son and the incredible bond you have with him. Thanks for letting us know how resilient Sam is and that he is okay. Perhaps that big head has a lot of extra bone in it. I'm so sorry he had a fall. It happens many, many times to each and every kid. I love all of you and know that this precious child is safe in your care. Worry if you like, but he will still fall. I used to feel like letting go of Aimee to let her grow was like holding a precious stone over a chasm without protection from losing it. Parenting isn't for the faint of heart.