Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New plants

It doesn't seem like it was that long ago, but I guess it was over Labor Day weekend that a nursery south of town had a 20% off sale and we went to look around to see if we could find anything to put in the yard. We were tentatively looking for a tree for the front and back yards and some perennials to go into the planter in the front since everything we were putting there was dying or just annuals that didn't last.

So we ended up with 10 yellow lilies, that are like the ones I admire outside my work every year, and a crimson bark maple tree. We were really excited and realized when we got home that we were probably a little premature on getting the tree since we had to figure out where to put it now.

The lilies got planted that week in the front after some rework on the horseshoe shaped raised bed in the front turned it into an oval raised bed with new dirt and mulch. It looks really nice now as long as I can keep the squirrels and cats from digging in it.



The tree, on the other hand, just went in this weekend since I realized that we may lose it if we didn't get it in the ground soon. It was hard to remember to water it regularly and if it got colder all of a sudden, I don't know what we would do with it to protect it. I also didn't want to go buy another one not on discount.



It took all weekend to finally decide where to put it and identify how much grass to take out. I will definitely rent a sod cutter next time, no matter how much grass has to come out; grass is a real bugger to get up with all the roots. It took me about 4 hours to dig all the grass out Sunday late afternoon and til about 8 at night to get the dirt and mulch filled in around it and the landscape fabric down. I had to go get another load of mulch to put on top and fill it in a little more yesterday, but it looks pretty good now. Eventually that whole end of the yard will just be mulch with no grass and just stepping stones to the back with ferns and other shade loving plants all around to make it not so sparse.

It is a little hard to tell in the picture since there is a lot of plants around it now, but if you click on it and get the bigger picture, it should be easier to see. The rhododendron behind it is dying and coming out now that the tree is in, and the pine tree out by the street will be coming out as soon as I can get the local utility to schedule to come take it down. I figure, why take down a tree that is under the power lines and the utility will take it out and chip up the branches without any cost to me.

It would end up costing me like $10 and an afternoon to take it down and haul it to the yard debris place, so I will let them take it down at their leisure. At least it isn't a fruit bearing tree in full fruit this time; like when they took down the plumb in the backyard and left a swampy mess of mushed plumb fruit (and pits) all over the grass.

2 comments:

creative side said...

Wow! Nice job John, (&Aimee?). I've been hustling around trying to get the last few things in around here too. I got quite a bit done yesterday and just need one more nice day to do the rest. Then we can take out some Salal and put in your wedding tree. If we are quick about it we'll get 40% off at the local nursery.

Anonymous said...

What you've done looks really good John. Can't wait til we get going on our new trees and the rearranging of shrubs now that the brick work is finished...well almost; one more brick pad to finish up the left overs. Been thinking about going and looking this next week once Dad gets to feeling better. The lily bed looks really nice; and I like where you put the new tree. How clever of you to let the Utility take care of taking out the other tree; it actually might make their job easier with less maintenance under the wires. We will definitely let you know when our tree goes in...and I hope really soon and get some shade back in the yard.
Always enjoy seeing your new progress...makes me eager to work on getting new pictures on my blog to show the finished work of our labor...mostly Dad's!!!
He's a real trooper when it comes to getting something done he isn't wanting to do anymore! And he always does a great job!