Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The no work clean pond

For some reason and with no effort on my part, the pond decided it was time to clean up its act. It has been cloudy with algae for a long time and I couldn't find anything that would clear it for very long. Even changing the filter more often wasn't helping it at all, actually probably made it worse.

Anywho, yesterday morning, I walked out the from door and the pond looked weird, I could see the bottom, the pump, tubing and all the left over rock I missed when I tried to clear out the pea gravel in the bottom. Fred and the gold fish were huddled in the milk crate I put in there to give them some shelter and darted all around the pond when I looked a little closer.

I guess the strong sun we have been having lately was enough to UV treat the pond and kill the algae that had kinda taken over. I just wonder how long it will last. I may need to put a big flat rock on the milk crate to give Fred and the goldfish a little more cover. I really don't want the red heron to think it is a free buffet and that we cleaned up just for him.

2 comments:

creative side said...

That's weird. Fortunately I haven't had any algae growth. Just slugs eating the beautiful water hawthorne. The plan is to use copper tape and if that doesn't work, the come on slug bait.

Anonymous said...

Always nice to get rid of the algae! With the hot sun and no trees we don't have as much moss and slime around here! Some shade would be nice in the middle of the yard which we are planning to have with a new tree one of these days.