Monday, July 05, 2010

Cherry picking family



For the first time since we have lived here, we got the cherry trees picked clean and the cherries washed and pitted in a day. The trees were pretty sparse this year and it only took us about 3 hours of picking.

My parents stopped by for the day and helped us pick the cherries; my mom was ground control and sorter of bad fruit and Dad was on Grandpa duty, keeping Sam occupied, while Aimee picked the low fruit and I was up the tree, literally out on a limb.

We got about 4 gallon bags of pitted cherries, plus made a cherry crisp that is awesome... sooooo good. I think I may go have another bowl with ice cream. Anywho... we sent my parents off with about half of them, have a bowl full of cut up cherries with sugar waiting in the fridge for pancakes tomorrow morning, a couple bags full for some friends and I will probably freeze the rest for later.

3 comments:

Aimee B. said...

The cherry crisp was so totally worth the whole day of preparing the fruit. Yummm.

creative side said...

Wow, that is awesome. Sam looks so cute helping out. He really is becoming a kid instead of just a toddler. It must have been fun with you all working together.

Anonymous said...

The day was perfect for picking cherries! Enjoyed my job of sorting the bad ones out...my feet were firmly on the ground, my working space was shaded, and when I needed a cherry pick-me-up I just ate one!!! Sam kept Grampa busy pitting a few for Sam to enjoy! Grampa kept Sam busy with other things when Sam had eaten a good share!

Preparing the cherry crisp was well worth the time it took to get it ready for the taste buds to enjoy; it was most delicious!!!...especially with a scoop of cold ice cream!

It was a very fun day with lots of good and fun family memories.