Friday, July 09, 2010

Beating the heat...


Ha!!! After dealing with an extra hot house yesterday, I installed the window air conditioner in the Family Room last night and had a nice cool 73 degree house today. Then when the back of the house got way hot, especially in the office, I installed an old a/c unit that came with the house in the office and cooled all the bedrooms and the rest of the house down. Almost had to put more clothes on in the office when I had it cranked, before the rest of the rooms cooled off back here.

So Heat 1, John 1, but I think I am winning the rest.

The house was actually pretty cool the first two days of this heat, but it didn't cool down at night like it did the first night. It was still 75 degrees in the house yesterday morning. I figured since today was supposed to be even hotter, which it was at almost 100, I had better put them in and get it over with before we cook for too many days. It was hard to go to sleep the night it was in the upper 60s outside and hotter in the house; ended up sleeping through my alarm cuz I got to sleep so late and missed a office call I should have been on. Oh well.

Sam's idea of keeping cool was to have only his boots on and he started off with them on the wrong feet when he got them on all by himself initially.


We got through the hot days by having fun in the pool with Sam the first two nights it was hot. We didn't get the pool out until the early afternoon the first day so the water didn't warm up very much from the tap water (cold). Oh and I ended up smacking Sam in the face with the foot pump while I was blowing up the pool when he came up beside me when I thought Aimee had taken him into the other room. You can see the scrape/cut on his forehead, under his right eye, and evidently I also got him on the leg, which I didn't realize until tonight.

Well that day, Sam and I didn't really like getting in it for too long at a time since it was quite cold. I knew it was time to get out when Sam's teeth started chattering. The water level was up to his mid chest, so he was in it a lot more than I was and since he had a hard time walking around, he slipped a couple times and got dunked before I could react. He took it in stride but wanted to get out soon afterward cuz he was cold. The life jacket went on him after the first time he went completely under and he had to hack out some water when I picked him up. I figured it was the only option since the water was so deep that time.



The second day of heat we got the pool out a little earlier and I didn't fill it as much, so it was at mid-thigh on Sam. He had a lot easier time getting around and even though his legs were cold he stayed in a lot longer at a time. I even sat down in it since it didn't quite feel ice cold that day. It was about 90 when we were out there and it was nice to cool off a bit since the house had gotten a little hot and stuffy.



Today, we got the pool started this morning and Aimee was tasked with filling it up after she got done watering. She came inside and all of a sudden realized she was supposed to be watching the water level. When I went to check it was almost over the top of the 2' sides. Aimee seemed to have fun emptying the water with the 5 gallon bucket so that it wouldn't be too deep for Sam. It was already getting hot though and she ended up dumping a bucket of water over herself while I was videotaping her throwing the water out; I think it was all for show.



Anywho... Sam didn't end up getting in it tonight cuz the house wasn't as hot and we didn't make it outside to play. Although, Aimee and I did once we got done hacking away at a bush on the property line with the neighbors that was getting out of control and covering the sprinklers... again. So we filled up the yard debris buckets to put them out at the curb full this week for pickup tomorrow due to the holiday. We would have missed it if it wasn't for the holiday cuz i totally forgot to up the trash and stuff out last night... or even think about it being a holiday week. So we sat in the warmer water as dusk was turning dark and just talked and had a good time by ourselves; it was nice since this doesn't happen a lot where we are without Sam.

Anywho... hope everyone else is surviving the plunge into the Summer heat from the cold and wet beginning this Summer started with.

3 comments:

creative side said...

Mmmmm! Looks like lots of fun. It is so easy for toddlers to slip and go under. When Bruce was little and I was about 8 I rescue him in a public pool. He was floating:( He was fine when I got to him, he just hacked up water and then Mom wouldn't let him go in again. She didn't swim at the time.

Anonymous said...

A cool pool on a hot day is very inviting...even when it's too cold?! Guess it would be time to get out when the teeth start to chatter; that kind of cold keeps your bod cool for a looong time!

Good pictures of slinging water! Someone should have been under the splash of water holding up their hands like they were going to catch it!...maybe next time. Sam is so cute with his spray bottle! Cool dude drinking water too.(:

Almost tempted to get a kiddie pool for us! Works for me since I don't swim.LOL

Anonymous said...

Glad you were there to rescue Sam from his dunking; that can be scary. The FB item you posted is a good thing to know.

Sam looks like Grampa dressing cool... except Grampa doesn't wear boots!!!