Saturday, May 22, 2010

Almost ready to drywall, and surprises

I finally finished the last two major things on the list to do before drywall tonight. The closet door light switch is now installed and functioning and all but the last piece of insulation is in the bathroom, including the spray foaming of the water lines that go over the ceiling to the other side of the room for the toilet and shower. I hope I got all the areas I needed to keep the water lines from freezing again; I really think I have it all over-insulated at this point so only time will tell.

I did get a surprise with the garage leak I thought I had fixed last fall; it started leaking again in the same area. That valley at the garage roof on the West side doesn't have the proper flashing like it should (neither does the other side for that matter). It may be easier to just go get some roof valley flashing and redo the whole valley to make it much better since I really don't need to or want to have the roof redone. I know there is some dry-rot on the roof sheeting that is going to have to be fixed since it is really squishy in a couple places and will probably have to address some of the issues with where the addition was attached to the original house not so well. I would really like to hold off on that since there doesn't seem to be any leaks in those areas right now. It probably just has to do with them not replacing sheeting they should have when they did the roof the last time.

So, with the rain we have been getting, it has been trickling in again, but totally manageable until I can get up there when it is a little nicer and put some more roof tar all over again. Maybe I should take my torch and heat it up a little to get it all to melt into place better this time. Usually the sun gets the roof hot enough to do that the next time it is nice, but evidently I didn't get enough patch tar up there this last time to take care of it.

2 comments:

creative side said...

Isn't it odd how there is always one more little thing? But it is your home and you don't have a landlord telling you what to do.

Anonymous said...

The only nice thing about a landlord is he'd have to pay for it!!!...and who knows when he'd get to it...and you never know what kind of a job he'd do so he'd have to do it again...NOT having a landlord allows you to do it right the first time when you're wanting to do it...then the wife can tell you...what a nice job you did!