Monday, May 03, 2010

Insulation installation

Got insulation in the end of the bedroom (R-43) with a layer of R30 laid across the rafters and R13 in the rafters. I figured out too late that it would have been easier to put the R30 in first with the open rafters; I put up the paper faced R13 in the rafter spaces first and had to thread the R30 from the ends. It would have definitely been easier the other way but turned out not to be too bad.

I went on a HomeDepot run with Sam while Aimee was having some "me" time and got some additional insulation and some soffit vent spacers (can't think of the right name for them) for the bathroom. I got the first (top) layer, learning from the bedroom, of R30 laid across the rafters and around the solar tube, furnace vent and vent fan. It went in a lot easier even though there is less space in the rafters for it. I got the soffit vent spacers up for the area of the bathroom and put up the one that goes over the office nook which didn't have one. I have pictures, it's just too late to get them off the camera and on there right now.

It is no wonder it gets so hot in the Family Room since the attic above wasn't getting any air movement and just cooking up there; the insulation was packed right up in front of the soffit vents without the insulation spacers to allow air to flow above the insulation. I just have to figure out how to get them put in above the ones on the other side of the FR so more air can get up there. I may end up putting up a gable vent in that end to give it more chance to vent hot air on the hot days.

Oh, and I started the door switch for the closet; open door - light turns on, close door - turns off. I got the main hole cut, dug out really, in the door jam, I just have to get a longer bit to drill through the top plate into the wall cavity so I can fish the wires through. I think it will be nice to not have to deal with a switch in the closet where you always want the light on. Aimee made me aware of the one time this may fail; when I am trying to sleep and she is getting into the closet with the door operated light. Anywho...

Now all I have to do is finish the bathroom rafter insulation and the door switch wiring before I can get the drywall scheduled and get the skeleton of a Master Bedroom and bathroom back. Then there is painting and bathroom finishing; vinyl flooring, shower stall, toilet, light fixtures, and vanity. Hopefully I got all the wiring right and won't have any issues with hooking everything up. But there soon will be some noticeable progress once the drywall is in.

3 comments:

creative side said...

Wahoo! Productive weekend. You are really flying on this. I would bet you are eager to get back to your remodeled and updated bedroom.

John B said...

I wouldn't exactly call it flying; it's been 5 months since the water line over the bedroom broke and it will be a year in July when Dad and I started the Master Bath. Crawling along if you ask me, but there has been more to do and fix than I can probably remember.

Anonymous said...

Haven't read posts for a few weeks...too many things going on. Sounds like progress from when I read last; now that the ground work is done, or most of it, the rest will seem like it whizzes by and you'll be finished...then it will seem like it was never undone! Strange how that works. You are doing a great job and will definitely benefit from the sweat of your labor along with the frustration, etc! Look forward to seeing all you've done so far.