Thursday, July 19, 2007

The front sprinklers

I did the front sprinklers after I did the back yard ones in the last post. They were a little more tricky since I decided to replace the half inch PVC pipe that was fed off the irrigation pump with 3/4" pipe. This fed into the new manifold for the front sprinklers, which I had to modify to add a fourth branch for an new spigot by the front corner of the garage. I always had to fish a rather long hose from the back of the house to use the irrigation well water on stuff in the front yard; it was cumbersome and hard to manage. Not any more...

The project turned out to be more than I bargained for since it ended up needing a lot more than I expected. I had to buy an additional control valve for the spigot since the timer would only let me turn on the pump switch when it was turning a zone on, so I made the spigot a new zone. Now I can manually run one of the programs which only turns on that zone; run the pump for the time I need to use the spigot and then turn it off. This ends up working for both the front and back spigots since the one in the back is branched off the supply line for the back yard sprinklers.

Here are the pics:




The biggest setback I had while putting the front sprinkler controls in was that I snapped a connecting piece in the PVC pipe that went from the pump to the well while I was trying to reposition things for the new 3/4" pipe connected. I will post that story tomorrow.

The only thing that leaked when I turned it all on was the additional control valve I added for the spigots since I forgot to tighten it down when i was dry fitting all the pieces together. It started spraying everywhere and would have been much easier to tighten up if I would have added a coupler above it, like I did below it; something to add later. Otherwise it ended without a hitch and has been running for several weeks now without issue. I just need to add a rain sensor to shut it off when it rains like it has the past week.

No comments: