Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The next section of roof

We started the next section of roof, the southwest side of the main part of the house; Dad and I:



  • got the shingles off

  • new plywood for the ridge and gable

  • the gagle straightened out

  • all of it mostly nailed down when it started raining.

  • and a couple braces for the remaining plywood we left up there since it was just sagging it one place next to where we tore the sheeting out.


Oh, and Sam got to go up on the roof with me; he almost went up by himself. I took him outside and had to walk back into the garage for something, telling Sam to wait for me. By the time I had gotten to the back where the ladder was, I discovered he wasn't waiting for me like I asked and was at the top of the 8 foot ladder, about to climb onto the roof by himself. That gave my heart a jolt but I realized he is a good climber and has had practice inside with ladders I have used in the bedroom while working.

I will have to get the pics Mom took while we were up there. Sam kept wanting to walk away from me, trying to let go of my hold on his arm, but I told him if he was not going to hold my hand, he was choosing to get down. He didn't fuss to much but did want to walk around. We walked around the old and new parts of the roof and gave him a view from the tallest peak above the Familyroom; he loved it. He was very obedient after getting down and he was out back with Grandma playing in the dirt. We did have a quick talk that he doesn't go up the ladder without permission and especially not by himself.

Anywho, Dad and I didn't get out there until almost 9am today and I had to take a break at 2pm for an hour work call. It started raining about 3:00, but I think we were out there until about 4pm by the time we got all the tarps down and shingle bundles distributed to keep them from blowing away.

It has been raining steady since then and just now started to really pour. I put a camera on the roof that I can watch from inside so I don't have to go out in the rain to see if the tarps are doing fine; so far so good. I really don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with the bedroom ceiling caving in again from water.

Oh, and I found an Amped can on the roof, well in the gutter on the front of the house above the garage. Makes me think that someone was up there, but maybe they just threw the can up there. I may have to leave the camera up there after the roofing project just to see if anything goes on up there without my knowing. I have wondered if someone would be able to get up on the roof from the fence like the cats and squirrels do.

As you can probably surmise, the roofing project is on hold for the time being. It is forecast to rain through tomorrow and have showers through the weekend. I just need a couple dry patches to be able to finish up:

  • tear out the rest of the valley on that side

  • put down the water and ice shield membrane in the valley

  • put down tar paper

  • nail down starter strip

  • and start shingling

This part of the roof is about a third the size of the part we finished so it shouldn't take that long once I get a break in the rain long enough to do some work up there. The valley tearout is going to probably take longer than any of what is left, but I am sure glad I left that up there with this rain.

Pics from Tuesday afternoon before we finished and then after the tarps were up to protect the valley on the FR side:


1 comment:

creative side said...

New roofs - huge job! You're doing great!