I have been too busy and tired to keep up on posting about the roof, so let me explain, no there is too much, I will sum up.
Day 5: 4th of July
 |
| Happy 4th. |
 |
| Please excuse the messed up picture... |
 |
| More tearing off plywood sheathing and putting up new. |
 |
| I sacrificed my tablesaw blade guard trying to cut a 45 degree bevel on one side of the plywood I was putting in at the ridge. The screw that held the guard on had bent and led to it being in the way when I started up the saw; sending shrapnel at me, which I avoided by ducking behind the plywood I was cutting. |
Day 6: thurs
 |
| That's 135 degrees on the tar paper |
- Started putting up some shingles from the northeast hip; didn't get very far.
my arms are badly scratched from all the plywood tear-off; my shins are just about as bad too.
Day 7: Fri, Dad arrives
- Didn't get any pictures from today so am verifying with the video, but as I recollect.
- Dad arrived in the middle of the day to help
- helped with cutting some sheets of plywood
- got tools I needed and adjusted the compressor for the different nailers
Day 8: sat, The Day I did too much
With Dad here and knowing we could get a lot of work done, we started on the gable over the garage. We took off the shingles over the garage gable first. You can see it in the next picture at the top right. It is a little hard to tell, but it sticks out a little and since I don't like that and it would have cost me another $50 to straighten it out at the lower part, we just cut off the upper part, making it a shallow gable. You might notice it later in the other pictures from the front of the garage.
 |
| Before... foreground shingling is new, background shingles are old, tar paper in the middle, some holes under the tarp. |
 |
| Dad helping cut plywood for the garage and then for the main roof . |
 |
| This is about the middle of the day when the garage roof was almost done replacing the sheathing. |
I don't have pictures from my camera of the sheathing that got replaced on the main roof the rest of the day, but basically, everything to the left in the above picture, that had the tarp on it or is old plywood got replaced late in this day. I got so frustrated with getting too much started at once that I didn't end up getting it all nailed down but did that on Sunday. I did get all the insulation and baffles done before the plywood got fitted and placed for the night, though.
Day 9: sun
Sunday I got all the new plywood we had fitted on the roof over the main part of the house and the garage nailed down. with the exception of some pieces along the valley. There was some support issues we addressed on Monday before the tar paper got placed and we got back to shingling.
It was hot on Sunday, so Sam had fun running though the sprinkler while Aimee did some work in the yard. We enjoyed a watermelon at one point and Sam pretended to be asleep in the shade of the canopy. He was having a blast.
Day 10: mon
 |
| This is the framing we put up to support the plywood in the valley we had to cut where it went under the garage roof. It worked really well to keep the new plywood edge supported. |
 |
| These were taken kinda late, so you will probably have to enlarge to see the details. |
 |
| The garage roof is started shingling and the main roof has come along further. |
Day 11: tues
We got the front garage roof removed in the morning before I took Mom and Sam to the mall to see the $1 movie; Cats and Dogs 2. When I got back Dad helped me get the basketball hoop removed.
 |
| The basketball hoop was removed and the front got tar papered . |
 |
| Then we got the front roof tar papered and the hip lined with ice and water shield. |
 |
| More shingling up the garage roof until I got to a point where I needed to figure out how to get the shingles underneath the gable before continuing on this side; which meant starting the front of the garage first. |
 |
| I ended up getting up to the hip on the front of the garage and put on the ridge shingles over the hip, but.... |
 |
| they didn't turn out so straight and I took them back off to retry again in the morning. |
Day 12: wed
 |
| Look! A straighter hip ridge. |
 |
| and then got the rest of the east garage roof done to the ridge and ready for the main roof to be started again. |
Day 13: thurs
 |
| This was the rest of the main roof shingled and then the hook blade on my utility knife slipped as I was trimming the last couple shingles ... |
 |
| and sank into my arm. |
 |
Luckily it was just before the Urgent Care Center closed and we were able to make it there to get my arm two stitches and not needing to wait several hours in the ER. Yay!!!
I was covered in shingle grit and it was getting all over the place. The nurse/tech even had to swab my arm twice to clean it to give me the Tdap shot. I am sure I didn't smell too great either, so it was great to get such great service. |
Day 14: friday
We tore down the chimney that was not being used any more on Friday. Whoever built that chimney did a good job, it was hard to bust apart. It took almost the whole day of me and Dad chipping bricks off of it and throwing everything in the dumpster. It was way more involved than I thought it was going to be.
 |
| When we got down to the roof, the shingles and the plywood around the chimney came out next. |
 |
| We took it down to where it was flat and I adhesived a piece of plywood to the top to keep out animals. |
Day 15: Sat
Saturday we took off more sheathing and framed in the top of the chimney with plywood so birds/squirrels wouldn't make use of the area above the chimney for a roost.
Sadly and reluctantly, I let my parents leave that afternoon so they could get home and take care of planning and packing for their trip. I really missed having someone around to work with and ended up calling Dad Sunday to help me figure out how to solve the plywood problem around the valley.
Day 16: Sun
 |
| Whoever put this in was not expecting it to ever come out, I think. |
 |
| The dilemma for the day was to figure out how to replace the small section of plywood at the end of the valley (the piece with the 2x4 sticking out from under it. I was thinking I really should replace the plywood that the hammer is on in the next picture, but ... |
 |
| with how I solved the problem, I ended up just putting in a 2x4 underneath that piece to re-enforce the marginal plywood and make it more solid. |
The rest of the roof came off and went together pretty easy after that and I got half of it nailed down before I realized I needed to wait on the last couple pieces toward the front so I could route the relay switch control cable from the sprinkler system into the wall since it was open from above and would be easier to get to that way.
I haven't been back out or even tried to route the wire yet... although I did put up tarps in preparation of the thunderstorms and rain we were supposed to have today; of which nothing came of it but a little wind.
I decided to take a break since I didn't have anyone to watch Sam yesterday (and didn't set up anything for today) and have been nursing a lame arm that keeps wanting to go to sleep, and has some strange nerve tingling, and a body that is just worn out from all the work day in and day out. I needed a rest I guess cuz I slept in yesterday til almost 10, when Sam woke up, and went to bed last night after dinner, pretty much. I did get a little restless about 2am and read for about an hour, but I still woke up today about 9. Even though I feel better, I still feel wiped and hopefully tonight will allow me to make an effort to get back out there and finish this up by the weekend.
2 comments:
So glad you took a few days to rest and get some recooperation from your hard labor on the roof. You have done an amazing job with all the set-backs and working out trouble spots that have come with this project!
Dad and I were very glad to be of help during a part of the work; I had the fun part playing with Sam! We continue to pray God help you with what is left to finish, as we had other obiligations and could not stay and see the project finished. God is good and will see you through to a job well done!
The progress is easy to follow with the way you post narrative to your pictures! You can be proud of your God-given ability to do what you are doing!
Wow John and John Sr. What a fabulous amout of work. I know how difficult replacing a roof can be and don't envy what you are going through. Soon you will be finished and breathe a sigh of relief. In the meantime, hang in there son.
Post a Comment