Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Roofing Day 4 - Tuesday

Today started with tearing more of the roof off. It was a nice partly cloudy, dry day. There were breaks of sun and then it would get cloudy and cool off a little. I don't think it got above about 75 all day. 

Anywho... The two 3/4 inch pieces above the gable were the first to go. I found that if I just cut the shingles at the seams of the plywood, I could just throw the plywood in the bin with the shingles still attached. I will have to download the camera photos to get pics of that, maybe tomorrow.




I got the plywood removed from the peak to the 3/4 plywood at the overhang and found that one of the rafters had cracked. I "sistered" a 2x4 along side of it and screwed and nailed it to the split rafter to strengthen it. I smoothed out the insulation and made sure there were not any empty spaces. I also tacked the cardboard to the bottom of the rafters, above the lower vent, so it wasn't just laying on the insulation.

Then I got the gable plywood replaced with new 3/4 inch and straightened out the gable to it didn't have the "butterfly" gable look. It is all just straight with the end of the house. Due to the adjustment in the gable, I had to cut a groove in the lower piece so it would fit over the hip; unfortunately I didn't get a picture before I covered it over with ice and water shield.



You will have to enlarge the photo to see the crack in it.
 This was just before I was done for the night.  I cut the final piece to go at the top above the sheeting that is in place in the picture. I put it in place but I have to wait to secure it until I put the next pieces at the lower levels first; so the plywood clips can be put in easier.


I then covered the whole area with tarps and came inside for the night. Aimee had gone to see her mom in the hospital again tonight after dinner and I had left Sam watching a movie to be able to finish putting the tarps up and cleaning up, so I wasn't able to keep working.

I wasn't really wanting to work on the 4th, but I will most likely be out there at it again. We don't have any other plans for celebrating, so why not. Sam is looking forward to fireworks though.

No comments: