Friday, July 15, 2011

Moles!!!!

Well, there are now n-3 moles in my yard. I caught the 3rd one today sometime; it caught me by surprise since I set the trap on the narrower setting and didn't think the trap actually had anything in it. Surprise, there is a mole hanging out the other side.

I have been catching 3 in two months so far; the one tonight, one on June 18th and the first one on May 16. I think it is going a little slow to be able to get the yard in order for grass seeding by Fall. The moles get by the traps about 3-4 times at each location before I finally get one; the last two were actually from the same hole though. If I see anymore activity and don't catch anything in a couple weeks if there is, I will probably call in the professionals.

There is a service that will flush the tunnels with sulfer dioxide gas at 60 mph to kill any in the tunnel system; he says he can tell which mounds are attached to the tunnel he is shooting the gas into by the geysers of gas coming out of other mounds in the yard or neighbor's yards. They also put something on the ground that makes the worms the moles eat undesireable to the moles, so any that may take over the empty tunnels won't stay long.

So if there is yet more activity in the yard, I think I may be paying to get that done, just to be done with it.

1 comment:

creative side said...

What happens to the sulphur dioxide gas? I hope it doesn't come up into your house. Just wondering.