Saturday, May 23, 2009

Went for a walk

I had been working out in the yard today and came in for lunch. Aimee was feeding Sam and afterwards he got quite upset. He just wouldn't calm down. He had several burps and didn't seem to have any evident bubbles in his tummy, but there was definitely something wrong. He was just screaming for over half an hour, seemed tired, but screamed worse when you tried to lay him down in the crib.

So... I decided he just needed some distraction and I put him in the stroller and started walking. We ended up going down to the river, crossing the bridge and going south along the bike path and he seemed to be doing much better almost immediately. I just kept walking, figuring he would fall asleep and I needed the exercise anyways. I just kept walking, figuring I would go to the bridge to the south, cross back over to the West side and go home with Sam adequately tuckered out if not asleep.



I did not plan that it was over 2 miles to the bridge and I didn't have any water, or a diaper bag for Sam. I was in my work clothes: t-shirt, jeans, work shoes, and my wide brimmed sun hat. My pants were all dirty and still a little wet from weeding and trying to pull out the grape vine stump. I am sure it was quite a site with me walking a stroller down the path in such a condition, but most eyes were on Sam and who cares otherwise.

We got to see some baby geese that were all over a lawn of some retirement place. They were quite cute but I was glad there was a rod iron fence between us and them, they were posturing like they were being protective. Or maybe interested in the slight squeak of the stroller.

Anywho, we got about a mile and a half and were still not at the bridge and I just got wore out. It was hot, I was hot, Sam was struggling every once in a while when the sun would get under the sun shade on the stroller. I finally put the burp clothe hung over the sun shade to provide additional shade over his face and that worked pretty good... then the stroller started squeaking; first the left front wheel and then the right front. Squeak..... Squeak..... Squeak... squeak.. Squeak... squeak.. Squeak. squeak..... Squeaksqueak.... (repeat) I am sure the lady I was following was about to go nuts; I sure was.

Without water and with the repeated squeaking I was just ready to give up. So I found a shady spot just before the bridge that overlooked a pond fed by the river and called Aimee to come pick us up. Going for the walk was a good idea, but just not very good execution or planning.

We had a fun time though and Sam was perfectly content through the whole trip, including the short stop by Fred Meyer on the way back to get him some more baby food (so we can continue to figure out how to make it ourselves and still have something to feed him in the meantime.) BTW, he sat in the cart and played with whatever he could get his hands on... the diaper bag handle, Aimee's purse strap, etc. very contently.

He was great and fell asleep in the carseat on the way home from FM, 1 mile. Ready for a nap when we got home, he slept for over an hour and then got up to eat again, happy as a lark. It was a great afternoon.

1 comment:

creative side said...

After looking at this post and the following one it looks like Sam is trying to have some input about his schedule. I've noticed that when it is near nap time he whimpers at being laid down on the changing table because he knows that naptime is next. Good job using diversion. Nice that you had your phone with you!