Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Fall Projects

Well, with the onset of the Fall rain, I have had some time to just relax for a couple weeks. With work getting a little more hectic as projects start for the quarter, there has not been much additional energy anyways.

Since I was going to take some down time from projects anyways, I decided to take care of a painful little toenail that has been bothering me lately. It is the only toenail I have had a problem with fungus growing under and have been able to deal with it for a long time until now. The doctor said I could take a drug that was hard on my liver to try and kill the fungus, but it would be best to just remove it since it was loose and would be much easier on my liver. I opted to have it removed on Saturday.

The numbing was the worst since it required two injections on either side of my little toe. The subsequent removal was only uncomfortable because I could feel the pressure from him prying the toenail off. It was painful for about a day, but has been manageable since. It currently is trying to form a scab, but is a little oosy still. On a side note, while I was at the doctors office, I found that my cholesterol levels were much better after 5 months of eating better and exercising. I went from being very high/high risk to boarderline in my LDL and cholesterol, and my triglycerides even went into a normal range.

The result of my hard work over the past 5 months was a real blessing because if there was not marketed improvement in my numbers, the doctor was wanting to put me on medication. At 33, I really don't want to start on medication I would have to take the rest of my life, especially at the risk of side effects that are almost worse than the benefits. Since cholesterol was my only risk factor, I think I can stick with a healthier lifestyle and help reduce my risk of developing other risk factors.

In trying to relax from outdoor projects, and stay off my toe hasn't helped, I have been forgetting to get my regular exercise and it has been affecting me more than I realized it would. My back has started complaining about being parked on the couch so much. And evidently I have been pretty tied up after working with the Plum tree stump cuz yesterday I was stretching and twisting trying to relieve the tightness and slight burning pain I was feeling in my upper to mid back and my mid to lower back gave way in a really harsh way. I was almost thinking I did something bad, but after my breathe came back, I decided it was just relieving something and layed down and iced my whole back for about an hour; working the small icepack we have down my spine every 20 minutes. It does feel better, but it is still a little uncomfortable.

1 comment:

creative side said...

It is the only body you get. I'm glad you are taking care of it. Hurrah for the change in lifestyle effects on your blood health.