Saturday, February 12, 2011

Finally finished shingling

I finally got all the shingling done. My dad came down this past weekend to help; he called to offer help last week since he hadn't heard that I had gotten it finished since the holidays.

Mom and him came up Friday after they were done with a tree consultation for a plan of what to plant since that took out all the trees they had, most of which were too big or messy. Anywho, we got up there and got the shingles off the west side of the Familyroom and got tar paper up by the time it got dark. We tarped the roof before we came in and nursed our sore bodies for the night. It was painfully obvious that we hadn't been doing much hard work for the past couple months.

We got started kinda late on Sat since I had to do a work call and then Aimee, Sam and I had a birthday party to go to for two hours in the late morning. It ended up taking almost two days to get the shingles done and the family room ridge done.

Mom and Dad left on Monday around 2, after lunch and getting their stuff packed up. I kinda wish I would have thought about it and had them stay to finish the rest of the ridge since Sam was home taking a nap when they left. I didn't feel like I could really be up on the roof nailing since I wouldn't want to wake him up or, worse, miss Sam waking up...

So I finally finished the roof tonight after a week of a chest cold that kept me inside trying to recover, barking like a seal. It really didn't take that long to finish the ridge once I figured out how I was going to do the peak where the Family room meets the main part of the house. I will be doing it differently when I redo the front roof, but it will work for the time being.

I also got the first valley cut and the two vents for the bath and laundry room fans installed through the roof. I still need to attach the ducts to the roof vent, but that can be done when it is raining tomorrow. It was so windy while I was trying to finish the vent caps that I thought I was going to get rained on... but it waited until I got inside.

Now for the second part of the project that seems to take longer than it should; cleanup and final touches. I still need to cement down both valleys and places on the ridge, remove all the single scraps, blow off the loose grit off the roof, clean out the gutters, magnet take the yard to get up all the staples and nails, and generally clean up anything else in the yard that is left over. oh, and the aformentioned vent duct connections.

It seems to be unending at times.

Please excuse the panorama picture, I had a hard time getting it to turn out right, so it is a little messed up.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks great John; glad we were there to help...Dad with the roof and me playing with Sam!!!