Monday, September 17, 2007

Yard update

Well, I haven't been doing a whole lot the past few weeks, but I decided to finish picking up the debris from the plum tree on Saturday, which resulted in another 1 and a half of the yard debris cans we have from the garbage company. The rest of the other can was filled with grass clippings, since I also got the lawn mowed, and the corn stalks, which I took down due to the fact there wasn't much corn on them. I harvested what corn I could salvage, but the majority of the corn had the top 2 inches eaten away by some kind of caterpillars, one per husk. The rest of the husk was fine after I cut off the eaten part and we have been eating on the 10 or so pieces since then... it is rather good corn.

Then Sunday for some reason, I was out there trying to figure out what I was going to have to do with the stumps and started digging out around them so I could get a stump grinder in there. I want to grind them down below the ground level as far as I can. I need to talk with my brother-in-law and find out what his experience was when he did the same thing to three very large pine tree stumps in his front yard. The second picture is the left over large wood pieces I had to move to get to the stumps. They are all irregular sizes so they ended up in a pile. Aimee had to help me with the one in the foreground that is like 5 feet long.

Anywho... I have about half of it dug out and the rest loosened up before it got dark tonight. Need to finish digging out the loose dirt and find a grinder to rent for Saturday. That is unless I figure out I can get the two small stumps out of there this week without too much work. My little hand axe just may be the limiting factor, so I anticipate needing the grinder.

Surprisingly my low back hasn't bothered me since I started digging on Sunday, but I am being quite careful with bending over a lot. I have been twisting a lot to throw dirt behind me, but that hasn't seemed to bother anything so far. Pray God spares me from any further injury while I work on this.
Oh and this weekend we also made a small lemon curd filled lemon cake with triple chocolate chip frosting, yum!!! We got these cool small cake pans that leave a "dent" in one side so you can fill the "dent" in two of them and smoosh them together to make a filled cake. Click on the picture and you can kinda tell the middle is gooey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought I left a comment already but it didn't seemed to get saved for some reason...so if you find it and get this one too you'll know why.

Well, did you get the grinder or did the stumps get dug out? Removing that tree sure opened up your yard; looks really nice.

That cake sure looks yummy! Where did you get the pan? Looks like a fun cake to make...and eat!

Enjoyed looking through your blog; I'll have to visit more often now that I've figured out how to get here.